1 a showy gesture; "she entered with a great flourish"
2 an ornamental embellishment in writing
3 a display of ornamental speech or language
4 the act of waving [syn: brandish]
5 (music) a short lively tune played on brass instruments; "he entered to a flourish of trumpets"; "her arrival was greeted with a rousing fanfare" [syn: fanfare, tucket]
- To thrive or grow well.
- The barley flourished in the warm weather.
- To prosper or
- The town flourished with the coming of the railway.
- To be in a period of
- His writing flourished before the war.
- To make bold, sweeping movements.
- They flourished the banner as they stormed the palace.
thrive or grow well
prosper or fare well
make bold, sweeping movements
Card flourish is a magic jargon term for a visual display of skill performed with playing cards to show the skill and manual dexterity of a magician. Card flourishes are more akin to juggling than magic. Flourishes are visually fascinating to watch, look difficult to do, and they often are.
Card flourishes for magicians can be divided into many genres: one handed cuts, spreads, two handed cuts, fanning, aerials, and springs. The art of card flourishing is not for magic use only. The art of doing only the flashy manipulation of playing cards as its own art form is also known as "Cardistry" or "Extreme Card Manipulation". Flourishes are used to fan the deck for a "pick a card" trick, or to cut the deck in a fancy way.
- Packet - Any amount of cards separate from the rest of the deck, the word "packet" can also mean the deck itself.
- Card cut - Any move that cuts the cards, which means to switch or re-arrange the positions of two or more packets of cards.
- Card shuffle - Any move that mixes the cards thoroughly, this is different from a card cut because a card cut mixes larger packets of cards, but a shuffle usually mixes 1-2 cards on top of another all the way through the deck.
- Grip - The way you hold the deck in your hand.
- Long sides of the deck - The sides of the deck that are longer than the other sides.
- Short sides of the deck - The sides of the deck that are shorter than the other sides.
- Mechanic's Grip - A way of holding the deck where it lies across your palm, and the index finger is on one short side of the deck, the other fingers are on the long side next to it, and the thumb is lying across the other long side of the deck.
- Dealer's Grip - A way of holding the deck where it lies across your palm, while the four fingers are on one side of the deck and the thumb on the opposite long side.
flourish in Japanese: フラリッシュ
acciaccatura, adjunct, adorn, adornment, advertise, affect, air, amplify, appoggiatura, arabesque, arrangement, arrive, asiaticism, augment, batten, be energetic, be somebody, be something, be vigorous, bear fruit, beauties, betoken, blazon, blazon forth, bloom, blossom, blow, bluster, boast, bonus, boom, brag, brandish, brandishing, bravura, breathe, brew, brilliancy, bring forth, bring forward, bring into view, bring out, bring to maturity, bring to notice, bud, burgeon, burst forth, burst with energy, burst with health, cadence, cadenza, color, color patterns, coloratura, colors, colors of rhetoric, come to fruition, convolute, curlicue, cut a dash, cut a figure, dangle, daring, dash, decor, decorate, decoration, demonstrate, demonstration, develop, device, disclose, display, division, divulge, do well, dramatics, dramatize, draw the longbow, eclat, elaborate, elaboration, elegant variation, embellish, embellishment, emblazon, emblazonment, emblazonry, embody, embroider, embroidery, enact, enjoy good health, enrich, etalage, euphuism, evidence, evince, exhibit, exhibition, exhibitionism, expand, expose to view, express, extempore, extra, extra added attraction, extra dash, false front, fanfare, fanfaronade, fare well, fatten, feel fine, feel good, festoon, figurative language, figurativeness, figure, figure of speech, filigree, filling, fillip, fine writing, fioritura, flair, flap, flash, flaunt, flaunting, flight, float, floridity, floridness, flourishing, flower, flower arrangement, floweriness, flowers of speech, flowery style, flutter, fly, frill, fructify, furbelow, furniture arrangement, garnish, garnishment, garniture, gasconade, gather, gemmate, germinate, gesturing, get ahead, gild, give sign, give token, gleam, glitter, glow, go, go great guns, grace, grace note, grow, grow fat, grow rank, grow up, have energy, highlight, histrionics, hold up, hot lick, hypertrophy, illuminate, illumination, image, imagery, impromptu, improvisation, in full swing, incarnate, incidental, incidental note, increase, indicate, interpolation, involve, keep fit, lagniappe, leaf, leaf out, leave, lick, live, load with ornament, long mordent, lushness, luxuriance, luxuriate, make a figure, make a splash, make clear, make good, make out, make plain, manifest, manifestation, manner of speaking, materialize, maturate, mature, mean, mellow, mordent, multiply, mushroom, never feel better, nonliterality, nonliteralness, ornament, ornamentation, outgrow, overcharge, overdevelop, overflow with energy, overgrow, overlay, overload, overrun, overtop, padding, pageant, pageantry, parade, passage, perform, pralltriller, premium, present, procreate, produce, prosper, puff, pullulate, purple passage, purple patches, put forth, put forth leaves, put forward, put out buds, reach its season, reach maturity, represent, reproduce, reveal, riff, riot, ripe, ripen, roll out, root, roulade, run, score, set forth, shake, shaking, sham, shine, shoot, shoot up, show, show forth, showiness, showing-off, single mordent, something extra, speak for Buncombe, spectacle, splash, splurge, sport, spotlight, spring up, sprout, sprout up, staginess, stay in shape, stay young, strike root, stuffing, succeed, superaddition, swagger, swing, swish, take root, theatrics, thrive, token, tower, trick out, trim, trimming, trope, trot out, trumpet, trumpet forth, turn, turn of expression, twirl, twist, undulate, undulation, unfold, upshoot, upspear, upspring, upsprout, vamp, vapor, varnish, vaunt, vegetate, wag, wave, wave motion, waving, wax, way of speaking, wear well, wield, wigwag, window dressing, wrinkle